NC woman charged after accidentally shooting self in store
A North Carolina woman was charged after authorities said she accidentally shot herself inside a store while shopping with her 2-year-old son. (WTVD-TV)
WAKE FOREST, N.C. — A North Carolina woman was charged after authorities said she accidentally shot herself inside a store while shopping with her 2-year-old son.
WTVD-TV reported that Danielle Hayes, of Franklinton, was allegedly at the Staples in Wake Forest around 7 p.m. Thursday when her gun discharged.
Police said Hayes’ toddler son reached inside her purse – where she had her pistol – and it went off when she tried to get his hand away.
Hayes was reportedly shot in her right hand and taken to WakeMed Health with non-life-threatening injuries. Her son was not injured.
Hayes was charged with failure to secure a firearm from a minor. The suspect reportedly has a concealed carry permit.
A witness said Hayes was shopping for school supplies for her kids at the time. The incident caused the store to close on Thursday evening.
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child
- Update: Silver Alert canceled for Forsyth County woman
- Video captures suspect stealing items from baby's grave