‘The Big Give’ in Davidson County
DAVIDSON COUNTY, N.C. — Everyone is invited. Everything is free. It’s that simple.
Connections Church will host its second annual “The Big Give” Saturday morning at Ledford High School.
Volunteers for the event have been collecting everything from food to diapers to clothes to toys, since May from local stores and community members.
“We gave away 400 book bags last year, but this year we are giving away 1,200 to 1,300. We have 15,000 canned food compared to 4,000 last year,” explained Brent McDowell, with Connections Church.
McDowell is also a Thomasville Police Officer so he sees how some people are “just” getting by.
“I’m in homes a lot more than your average daily person, so I see the need out there,” he said.
“The Big Give” starts Saturday morning at 10 a.m. at Ledford High School.
Last year, the church gave away all their backpacks within the first 30 minutes, so volunteers are encouraging people to get there early.
Free haircuts and health screenings will also be offered.
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Update: Silver Alert canceled for Forsyth County woman
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- NC girl kicked out of prom for wearing pants
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child