Guilford County sheriff asks for segways for SROs
GREENSBORO, N.C. — The Guilford County Sheriff’s Office is asking county commissioners to reconsider approving seven Segways for its school resource officers.
Deputies say the two-wheeled machines will allow SROs to patrol school properties more effectively and also move faster between high schools and middle schools during emergencies.
Commissioners denied the department’s initial request earlier this year.
The Segways cost nearly $53,000 and, if approved, would be paid for by federal forfeiture funds.
Guilford County Commissioners will discuss the request at a Thursday meeting.
- Woman killed in wreck on southbound Business 85 in High Point
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Baby born Tuesday is largest hospital has seen in over a decade
- Woman admits to stealing toy from child's grave, explains why she did it
- Tenn. girl wakes up for school, finds parents dead inside home