Guilford County sheriff asks for segways for SROs
GREENSBORO, N.C. — The Guilford County Sheriff’s Office is asking county commissioners to reconsider approving seven Segways for its school resource officers.
Deputies say the two-wheeled machines will allow SROs to patrol school properties more effectively and also move faster between high schools and middle schools during emergencies.
Commissioners denied the department’s initial request earlier this year.
The Segways cost nearly $53,000 and, if approved, would be paid for by federal forfeiture funds.
Guilford County Commissioners will discuss the request at a Thursday meeting.
- 40 people arrested across NC for human trafficking
- The real story behind the 'train selfie' and the man kicked in head by 'conductor'
- Why were huge military planes flying over the Piedmont today?
- Judge tells convicted killer 'I hope you die in prison'
- Lexington man killed in accident on I-85 in Davidson Co.