5 months after fire, UNCG students move into Spartan Village
GREENSBORO, N.C. — UNC-Greensboro’s Spartan Village opened to students Wednesday, five months after a fire destroyed one of the buildings under construction.
The mix-use development includes four residence halls, a gym and faculty housing. Students will be able to move in to three of the dorms throughout the week.
Officials announced in July that a propane heater likely started the four-alarm blaze at the Highland Residence Hall.
No injuries were reported, but the structure was a total loss with an estimated $11 to 12 million in damage.
Construction resumed this summer on the last dorm and will finish this winter.
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Update: Silver Alert canceled for Forsyth County woman
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- NC girl kicked out of prom for wearing pants
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child