Rowan County commissioners go behind closed doors to pray

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

File image: Rowan County commissioners praying at a public government meeting. (Photo courtesy, WSOC)

ROWAN COUNTY, N.C. — Rowan County commissioners went behind closed doors to pray Monday, their first meeting since a federal judge ordered them to immediately stop opening public meetings with prayers specific to one religion.

The Salisbury Post reported that commissioners decided to take a 3-minute recess to pray outside of the room.

The paper reported that while the commissioners were gone, someone attending the meeting stood and prayed, ending his prayer “in Jesus’ name.”

Last month, Judge James A. Beatty Jr. ordered the commissioners to stop sectarian prayer at all public meetings.

The decision came after the ACLU and ACLU of North Carolina Legal Foundation filed a lawsuit in March on behalf of three complainants.

Nancy Lund, Liesa Montag-Siegel and Robert Voelker said their rights were violated by prayers, most of which were in Jesus’ name.

Commissioner Jon Barber has previously said that he will pray “all or nothing,” meaning he will not pray a non-sectarian prayer.

Read full story: The Salisbury Post