Tommy Reid named new High Point fire chief
HIGH POINT, N.C. — High Point City Manager Strib Boynton announced Thursday the promotion of Deputy Fire Chief Tommy Reid to Chief of the High Point Fire Department.
The promotion is effective as of Thursday.
“Chief Reid has the clear and proven leadership abilities necessary to guide and advance the High Point Fire Department”, City Manager Strib Boynton said in announcing the promotion in a meeting with Chief Reid and firefighters earlier this morning. “Chief Reid has earned my respect, as he knows and understands the real needs and priorities of the High Point community, and importantly, also those of our firefighters.”
Born and raised in High Point, Chief Reid started his firefighting career as a volunteer with the Pinecroft-Sedgefield Fire Department in 1979. He joined the High Point Fire Department in 1981, rising progressively through the ranks from Firefighter to Driver to Captain. In 2000 he was promoted to Battalion Chief, and in 2011 to Deputy Chief of Operations.
He has served in Stations No. 1 on Centennial, No. 6 on Springfield, No. 8 on Prospect, former No. 3 on Phillips, and Headquarters on Elm.
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child
- Update: Silver Alert canceled for Forsyth County woman
- Video captures suspect stealing items from baby's grave