Greensboro park cleans up after severe flooding
GREENSBORO, N.C. — A strong thunderstorm on Sunday left behind a muddy mess in Latham Park.
More than two inches of rain fell, pushing North Buffalo Creek over its banks. Flood waters covered the park, nearby streets and playgrounds.
While the area is known for flooding, homeowners like Courtney Kidwell couldn’t believe how quickly the area was over taken by flood waters.
“It was incredible to see the pictures of everything covered [by water]…tennis courts were a lake. It was a lot of water in a short amount of time,” Kidwell said.
Several lightning strikes also struck Latham Park, causing large tree branches to snap, landing on homes and apartments. City crews were able to remove most of the downed trees, but some trees were left behind, because the ground is too wet for heavy tree removal equipment.
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child
- Update: Silver Alert canceled for Forsyth County woman
- Video captures suspect stealing items from baby's grave