Mom, 2-year-old killed in crash in Alamance County
ALTAMAHAW, N.C. — State troopers say a mother and her 2-year-old daughter died early Thursday in a single-vehicle wreck in Alamance County.
According to the N.C. Highway Patrol, 27-year-old Amy Huskey was driving a 2007 Dodge Nitro east on Altamahaw Union Ridge Road around 2:15 a.m. when her SUV crossed the center line and went off the left side of the roadway near Hub Mill Road. The SUV then struck a tree and caught fire.
Huskey and her 2-year-old daughter died as a result of the collision.
Troopers say Huskey lived on Altamahaw Union Ridge Road, a few blocks away from where the accident occurred.
Huskey’s cousin, Benjamin Harrell, says she was planning to get married in a few weeks.
“I just can’t believe it. I saw her SUV and I still can’t believe it,” Harrell said.
Huskey’s coworkers remembered how much joy she brought to her job at Step by Step Child Care Center.
“Amy was like the daughter I never had,” Rhonda Nedohin said.
Huskey’s family is planning a memorial in the coming days.
The State Highway Patrol is still trying to determine what caused the crash.
Amy’s sister-in-law has set up a fundraiser for Amy’s funeral and other necessary expenses. You can donate here.
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Update: Silver Alert canceled for Forsyth County woman
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- NC girl kicked out of prom for wearing pants
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child