Woman with back pain given diagnosis of ‘ghetto booty’
JACKSON, Tenn. — A woman in Tennessee filed a complaint with the Tennessee Department of Health after she said a doctor told her that her back pain was caused by her “ghetto booty.”
“I think I blacked out after he said ‘ghetto booty.’ I think my mind was just stuck on the phrase because I couldn’t believe he said that,” Terry Ragland, 55, told WREG.
The woman said she had been to the doctor’s office many times before, but this was the first time she had seen this doctor. The doctor ordered x-rays for her, then she said he returned with the diagnosis.
According to WREG, Ragland complained to the office manager, who apologized. Then, a few weeks later she received a letter from Dr. Timothy Sweo.
“I was trying to take technical conversation regarding your lower back and make it less technical,” the letter read.
The letter offended Ragland, though, because she felt he didn’t believe she had enough intellect to understand his more technical explanation of her lower back pain. Sweo said Ragland has lumbar lordosis, which is a medical term for the curve of the lower spine that makes the buttocks protrude more.
Read more: WREG
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- Woman killed in wreck on southbound Business 85 in High Point
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child
- Woman admits to stealing toy from child's grave, explains why she did it