Doctor with NC ties tests positive for Ebola

Nine top-30 players to compete in Winston-Salem Open

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (Winston-Salem Journal) — John Isner, the two-time defending champion of the Winston-Salem Open, got a pretty good idea Wednesday who his competition will be when he goes for a third title next month.

Tournament officials announced the majority of the field for the tournament, which will be held August 18-24 at the Wake Forest Tennis Complex adjacent to BB&T Field. Officials said 39 of the 48 slots in the main draw have been filled, with the remainder of the entrants to come from wild cards and qualifying play. According to the ATP, all 39 players currently in the field are ranked in the top 75 in the world — with nine in the ATP top 30.

There will be an additional field of 16 doubles teams to be named closer to the tournament.

Tournament officials announced last month that Isner (ranked No. 19) will return for a third year to defend his title. Isner will be joined by previously announced competitors Tommy Haas (ranked No. 11) and Sam Querrey (No. 21).

The other top-30 players announced Wednesday were Juan Monaco (No. 20), Andreas Seppi (No. 23), Alexandr Dolgopolov (No. 24), Benoit Paire (No. 27), Tommy Robredo (No. 28) and Feliciano Lopez (No. 30).

“Other than the U.S. Open and the top-tier ATP Masters tournaments, the Winston-Salem Open offers greater playing field depth than probably any other men’s professional tournament in America this year,” Bill Oakes, the tournament director, said in a release. “The players’ attraction to Winston-Salem is due in large part to the incredible hospitality, fan support and volunteers that we offer.”

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 26,953 other followers