SC man dies after firework explodes in his hands
TRAVELERS REST, S.C. — A Travelers Rest man has died after a firework exploded in his hands on July Fourth, according to WSOC.
The Greenville County Coroner’s Office says 54-year-old Robin Rhodes Smith died on the way to a hospital around 9:45 p.m. Thursday.
Witnesses say Smith had been shooting fireworks in his yard. A mortar round-type with a 4-inch opening at the top, failed to ignite.
Investigators say Smith took the firework out of the ground and used a pocket knife to install a new fuse. Witnesses say Smith was holding the firework against his chest when it went off.
An autopsy was scheduled Friday.
- This is why you don't take a selfie next to a moving train
- Remains of teens missing since 1971 found in submerged car
- Wu-Tang Clan affiliated rapper severs penis, jumps off building
- Woman shot dead while on phone with 911 for 13 minutes
- 24 people apply for 'World's Toughest Job,' get an emotional surprise at end of interview