Pfafftown man drowns at Holden Beach
HOLDEN BEACH, N.C. — Officials say a Pfafftown man has become the fourth person to drown off a Brunswick County beach.
The Associated Press reports 57-year-old Randall Joyce drowned Thursday in the surf at Holden Beach.
Holden Beach police tell WECT the victim was among several others who were attempting to rescue a struggling swimmer.
Brunswick County Emergency Services Director Anthony Marzano says Joyce was swimming with his wife and two adult children when they were all caught in a rip current.
The four adults were taken to a hospital after being rescued from the water, however Joyce was pronounced dead after arriving at the hospital, The Associated Press reports.
Judge Mitchell McLean, 54, of Wilkesboro, drowned off Sunset Beach on Wednesday while attempting to help a couple who were struggling in the surf. The man McLean was trying to help survived, but McLean and the woman he was also trying to help died.
Another person drowned Wednesday off Ocean Isle Beach.
The region has had a high risk for rip currents for several days.
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Update: Silver Alert canceled for Forsyth County woman
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child
- NC girl kicked out of prom for wearing pants