More than 20 injured after deck collapse in Gaston County
Officials: 18 injured, 3 taken to hospital after deck collapse. (WSOC photo)
CHERRYVILLE, N.C. —More than 20 people were injured Sunday afternoon after a deck collapsed in Gaston County.
According to WSOC, 22 people were injured in Cherryville after the deck collapsed during a Fourth of July cookout just after 4 p.m. According to the fire chief, there was too much weight on the deck.
“A wooden structure, concrete structure needs to make sure it can have the weight on it that it’s designed to hold. And this deck being old and the weight load that was on it, it collapsed in the middle,” Fire Chief Jeff Cash told WSOC.
The fire chief said the deck was over 20-years-old, a contributing factor to the collapse.
More at: WSOC
- 24 people apply for 'World's Toughest Job,' get an emotional surprise at end of interview
- This is why you don't take a selfie next to a moving train
- Watch WWE's touching tribute to The Ultimate Warrior
- 79-year-old 'Britain's Got Talent' dancer stuns Simon Cowell with her moves
- 'Blood moon' timeline: Event will be a sight to behold, weather permitting