More than 20 injured after deck collapse in Gaston County
Officials: 18 injured, 3 taken to hospital after deck collapse. (WSOC photo)
CHERRYVILLE, N.C. —More than 20 people were injured Sunday afternoon after a deck collapsed in Gaston County.
According to WSOC, 22 people were injured in Cherryville after the deck collapsed during a Fourth of July cookout just after 4 p.m. According to the fire chief, there was too much weight on the deck.
“A wooden structure, concrete structure needs to make sure it can have the weight on it that it’s designed to hold. And this deck being old and the weight load that was on it, it collapsed in the middle,” Fire Chief Jeff Cash told WSOC.
The fire chief said the deck was over 20-years-old, a contributing factor to the collapse.
More at: WSOC
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- Woman killed in wreck on southbound Business 85 in High Point
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child
- Video captures suspect stealing items from baby's grave