NC man dies following road rage incident in Florida
Credit: Deborah Buckhalter/Floridan (used with permission)
MARIANNA, Fla. — Authorities in Florida say a North Carolina motorcyclist has died and two other North Carolina men face charges after a deadly road rage incident earlier this month.
Terry Joe Gibbs, of North Carolina, died Wednesday following a road rage incident on June 17 when his motorcycle was struck by a vehicle at a gas station in Marianna.
The incident stemmed from a confrontation between a pickup truck driver and three men on motorcycles, including Gibbs. The road rage incident ended in gunfire when one of the men fired shots into the pickup truck.
Gibbs was critically wounded after he was struck by the pickup truck. He was transported to a local hospital for treatment but died on Wednesday.
Officials said Kevin Denkevitz, of Sanford, fired shots into the pickup truck. No one was injured. He was charged with aggravated assault with a firearm and shooting into an occupied vehicle.
Craig Mathew, of Maple Hill, who was also on a motorcycle, was charged with burglary and other related charges.
No information was provided about the driver of the pickup truck.
Gibbs’ hometown was not revealed by the sheriff’s office.
- Woman killed in wreck on southbound Business 85 in High Point
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Baby born Tuesday is largest hospital has seen in over a decade
- Woman admits to stealing toy from child's grave, explains why she did it
- Tenn. girl wakes up for school, finds parents dead inside home