NC woman accused of killing husband
RALEIGH, N.C. — A Wake County woman has been accused of killing her husband.
Joanna Madonna is charged with first-degree murder in the death of 64-year-old Jose Manuel Perez.
Perez’s body was found Sunday morning by a man who was walking along Old Bayleaf Road near Durham Road. According to WRAL, the man told investigators he walked the same route the night before and didn’t see the body.
Sheriff Donnie Harrison tells WRAL they believe Perez’s body was dumped alongside the roadway after he was killed in another location.
Madonna was arrested following the discovery, but investigators have not said what led them to identify her as a suspect.
Madonna and Perez shared a home at 12412 Schoolhouse St. with Madonna’s ailing father and three children.
A Wake County Public School System spokeswoman tells WRAL Madonna worked for the school district over the past few years as both a substitute and full-time teacher. She was most recently a special education teacher at Garner High School, but she resigned from her position in March.
The suspect is being held in the Wake County Jail without bond.
Read more: WRAL.com
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child
- Woman killed in wreck on southbound Business 85 in High Point
- Video captures suspect stealing items from baby's grave