Forsyth County kicks off Summer Feeding Program
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C.– The Winston-Salem/Forsyth County School system opened 19 school cafeterias this week to serve free breakfasts and lunch to anyone 18 or younger, as part of the National School Lunch and Breakfast Program.
Last year more than 27,000 lunches were served and 12,500 breakfasts in Forsyth County alone. The goal of the national program is to help fight childhood hunger. Across the country, more than 143 million meals were served.
In Forsyth County there are 17 schools taking part in both meals this year, two just in lunch. Breakfast is from 8:15 a.m. to 8:45 a.m. and lunch is from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
The lunches include lots of healthy foods like whole grain breads and pastas, low-fat cheeses, fruits, vegetables and 100% fruit juice and low-fat milk. The meals are nutritionally balanced.
“A lot of the kids will go without breakfast or lunch they may go having only one meal a day. It’s a good feeling to know the schools are providing this opportunity to the kids,” said David Ader, a teacher at Konnoak Elementary School.
No identification is required unless children look like they may be over 18. Parents do not have to sign their kids up and anyone 18 or under can eat. Parents are welcome to join them, they just can’t eat.
The meals will be served Monday through Friday at these Forsyth County Schools:
- Ashley IB Magnet, 1647 Ashley School Circle, Winston-Salem
- Cash Elementary, 4700 Old Hollow Road, Kernersville
- Cook Elementary, 920 11th Street NW, Winston-Salem
- Diggs-Latham Elementary, 986 Hutton Street, Winston-Salem
- East Forsyth Middle, 810 Bagley Drive, Kernersville
- Forest Park Elementary (opening 7/1/13), 2019 Milford Street, Winston-Salem
- Hall-Woodward Elementary, 125 Nicholson Road, Winston-Salem
- Hanes-Lowrance Middle, 2900 Indiana Avenue, Winston-Salem
- John F. Kennedy High, 890 E. 11th Street, Winston-Salem
- Kernersville Elementary, 512 W. Mountain Street, Kernersville
- Kimberley Park Elementary, 1701 N. Cherry Street, Winston-Salem
- Konnoak Elementary, 3200 Renon Road, Winston-Salem
- Mineral Springs Elementary, 4527 Ogburn Avenue, Winston-Salem
- Mineral Springs Middle, 4559 Ogburn Avenue, Winston-Salem
- North Hills Elementary, 340 Alspaugh Drive, Winston-Salem
- Petree Elementary (opening 6/26/13), 3815 Old Greensboro Road, Winston-Salem
- Philo-Hill Magnet, 410 Haverhill Street, Winston-Salem
Gibson Elementary and Griffith Elementary schools will be serving lunch only.