Farmers growing more rapeseed
YADKIN COUNTY, N.C.– With natural food sales climbing, manufacturers are looking for more holistic ways to produce their products.
Winston-Salem based Technology Crops International is encouraging more farmers to grow rapeseed, which produces tiny seeds that are harvested and crushed. The oil that is produced is used in plastic and drug manufacturing.
Yadkin County farmer Kevin Matthews used to grow barley, but switched to rapeseed when he learned that companies are looking for natural alternatives to produce their products.
“It turns out to be viable crop for us. The net return is pretty good,” he said.
Technology Crops International is looking to add more growers to meet the growing demand for natural alternatives.
- 40 people arrested across NC for human trafficking
- The real story behind the 'train selfie' and the man kicked in head by 'conductor'
- Why were huge military planes flying over the Piedmont today?
- Judge tells convicted killer 'I hope you die in prison'
- Lexington man killed in accident on I-85 in Davidson Co.