Closings along Blue Ridge Parkway will affect summer visitors
Portions of the Blue Ridge Parkway could be out of commission this summer due to sequestration cuts.
Park Rangers said they were forced to cut $784,000 from their budget. As a result, they have had to cut back on the workforce.
The rangers said there are 40 fewer employees are working along the Blue Ridge Parkway. Several picnic areas and nearly 100 campsites have also been closed.
In North Carolina, the Jeffress Park, Doughton Park and Crabtree Falls Picnic areas will not open this summer. No one will be allowed to use the 92 campsites that sit a short hike from the Crabtree Falls.
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child
- Update: Silver Alert canceled for Forsyth County woman
- Video captures suspect stealing items from baby's grave