Davidson County native climbs Mt. Everest
Wednesday marks 60 years since two men became the first climbers to reach the summit of Mount Everest,
Now, Scott Derue, a Walburg native, can check that off his to-do list.
Derue graduated from Ledford High School, went to UNC Chapel Hill and received his PhD. from Michigan State University.
He’s a self-proclaimed adventure junkie who has climbed the tallest mountains on four of the 7 continents around the world.
He just got back from an excursion to Nepal where he reached the summit of Mount Everest.
Peaking at over 29,000 ft, Derue says being on top of the mountain is like being on top of the world, dwarfs any mountains you’ll find in the United States.
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- Woman killed in wreck on southbound Business 85 in High Point
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child
- Woman admits to stealing toy from child's grave, explains why she did it