Reading of Forsyth County Honor Roll remembers 499 veterans
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. — Veterans, family and local leaders gathered for the 24th annual reading of the Honor Roll of Forsyth County at Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial Coliseum Monday afternoon.
All 499 names of Forsyth County veterans who died serving our country were read during the ceremony.
We need to take a few minutes to remember a friend or loved one who has given their life for our country,” said Walt Emery, Vice-President of the Triad Vietnam Veterans Association. “Remember our men and women in the armed forces today as the fight for freedom is still ongoing.”
In recent weeks concern over the future of the memorial has been discusses as the city put the coliseum up for sale. Officials with Wake Forest University say they plan to buy it and have agreed to care for the memorial.
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child
- Update: Silver Alert canceled for Forsyth County woman
- Video captures suspect stealing items from baby's grave