Elon leaving SoCon for CAA
ELON, N.C. — Elon is expected to announce Thursday it will leave the Southern Conference for the Colonial Athletic Association, according to multiple media reports.
The school said it will make an “important announcement about the future of Elon Phoenix Athletics” during a news conference at 2 p.m. on Thursday.
The school is expected to join UNC Wilmington and eight other schools in the CAA.
It’s unclear when the new conference membership will begin, with the 2014-2015 year most likely.
Elon would be the fifth school to leave the SoCon in the past year. Appalachian State, Georgia Southern left for the Sun Belt and Davidson will join VCU and George Mason in the Atlantic 10.
Chattanooga, Furman, Samford, The Citadel, UNC Greensboro, Western Carolina and Wofford are the only remaining schools in the SoCon.
Elon joined the SoCon from the Big South in 2003.
- Watch WWE's touching tribute to The Ultimate Warrior
- 'Blood moon' timeline: Event will be a sight to behold, weather permitting
- 79-year-old 'Britain's Got Talent' dancer stuns Simon Cowell with her moves
- 24 people apply for 'World's Toughest Job,' get an emotional surprise at end of interview
- The Ultimate Warrior's cause of death revealed in autopsy