Nearby robbery prompts school lockdowns in Davidson County
LEXINGTON, N.C. — Deputies say Welcome Elementary, North Davidson Middle, and North Davidson High schools were temporarily locked down Tuesday while they were pursuing a robbery suspect in the area.
According to the sheriff’s office, the robbery occurred around 10:15 a.m. at The Smoke Shop at 6138 Old U.S. Highway 52. Witnesses last saw the suspect running down the railroad tracks behind the business before deputies arrived.
Deputies say the suspect was found shortly afterward in a wooded area off Bud Hinkle Road. He was arrested after a brief foot chase.
The lockdowns were lifted after the suspect was arrested, they said.
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child
- Update: Silver Alert canceled for Forsyth County woman
- Video captures suspect stealing items from baby's grave