Car crashes into fuel tanker on I-85 in Davidson County
THOMASVILLE, N.C. — The northbound lanes of Interstate 85 in Davidson County were temporarily closed on Wednesday due to a wreck involving a tanker truck.
Officials say a car struck the back of the tanker around 1:45 a.m. near mile marker 104.
Dispatchers say both drivers were taken to the hospital, but their conditions were not clear.
The tanker was hauling 8,100 gallons of ethanol. There were no leaks, but the fuel still had to be pumped out of the tanker.
One lane of I-85 North was closed during the morning commute. Authorities shut down all northbound lanes around 10:45 a.m. so they could move the fuel. Two of the northbound lanes reopened around 1:45 p.m. It was not clear when the third lane is expected to reopen.
No other details about the crash were immediately available.
- 40 people arrested across NC for human trafficking
- The real story behind the 'train selfie' and the man kicked in head by 'conductor'
- Why were huge military planes flying over the Piedmont today?
- Judge tells convicted killer 'I hope you die in prison'
- Lexington man killed in accident on I-85 in Davidson Co.