Car crashes into fuel tanker on I-85 in Davidson County
THOMASVILLE, N.C. — The northbound lanes of Interstate 85 in Davidson County were temporarily closed on Wednesday due to a wreck involving a tanker truck.
Officials say a car struck the back of the tanker around 1:45 a.m. near mile marker 104.
Dispatchers say both drivers were taken to the hospital, but their conditions were not clear.
The tanker was hauling 8,100 gallons of ethanol. There were no leaks, but the fuel still had to be pumped out of the tanker.
One lane of I-85 North was closed during the morning commute. Authorities shut down all northbound lanes around 10:45 a.m. so they could move the fuel. Two of the northbound lanes reopened around 1:45 p.m. It was not clear when the third lane is expected to reopen.
No other details about the crash were immediately available.
- Jeremy Mayfield's $1.3M mansion to be burned down
- 13 arrested in drug busts in Yadkin County, surrounding counties
- Man tricked into thinking he's been in 10-year coma
- Texas teen gets probation for deadly DWI collision with 'affluenza' defense
- $50M awarded over birth defect after test said baby would be OK