West Wing evacuated due to smoke, Secret Service says
WASHINGTON (CNN) — The West Wing of the White House, including the press area, was briefly evacuated Saturday out of an abundance of caution as authorities investigated the source of smoke coming out of a mechanical closet, a Secret Service spokesman told CNN.
Five fire trucks responded to the White House, including a ladder truck, but all departed shortly thereafter.
It was determined that an overheated piece of equipment was the source of the smoke.
The scene was calm, and soon people were allowed to return inside the White House.
From Kevin Liptak, CNN.
- Jeremy Mayfield's $1.3M mansion to be burned down
- Man tricked into thinking he's been in 10-year coma
- 13 arrested in drug busts in Yadkin County, surrounding counties
- Texas teen gets probation for deadly DWI collision with 'affluenza' defense
- $50M awarded over birth defect after test said baby would be OK