Local Marine to compete in Warrior Games
THOMASVILLE, N.C.–When the Warrior Games kick-off in Colorado Saturday, a veteran from the Piedmont will be there, ready to battle it out with hundreds of other wounded veterans.
This will be Thomasville native Sergent Joe Smith’s third year competing in Olympic Air Rifle and Swimming.
Smith suffered a spinal cord injury in 2004 while serving in Afghanistan.
Now retired and wheelchair-bound, Smith says The Warrior Games allow him to reconnect to those who also risked their lives serving their country.
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child
- Woman killed in wreck on southbound Business 85 in High Point
- Video captures suspect stealing items from baby's grave