Ariel Castro gets $8 million bond for Cleveland kidnappings
(CNN) — Bail for Ariel Castro, accused of keeping three women and one of their daughters captive for years in his Cleveland home, was set at $2 million per case, for a total of $8 million, at his arraignment Thursday morning in Cleveland Municipal Court.
In the four cases — one case for each alleged victim — the 52-year-old faces a total of four counts of kidnapping and three counts of rape.
Ariel Castro made “premeditated, deliberate and depraved decisions to snatch three young ladies … to be used in whatever self-gratifying, self-serving way he saw fit,” assistant prosecutor Brian Murphy said Thursday morning during the arraignment.
Murphy asked for bail to be set at $5 million.
The three long-missing women — Amanda Berry, 27; Georgina “Gina” DeJesus, 23; and Michelle Knight, 32 — and a 6-year-old daughter apparently born to Berry in captivity were found alive Monday in Cleveland, police said. The women are believed to have been abducted years ago — in 2002, 2003 and 2004 — and held captive at a Ariel Castro’s home, according to police.
Ariel Castro his two brothers were arrested. On Wednesday, a prosecutor said his brothers are not being charged in the case.
– Bail for Ariel Castro was set at $2 million per case, for a total of $8 million, at his arraignment Thursday morning in Cleveland Municipal Court. In the four cases — one case for each of the women, and one for the 6-year-old girl — he was arraigned on a total of four counts of kidnapping and three counts of rape. The state had asked for bail to be set at $5 million.
– Castro made “premeditated, deliberate and depraved decisions to snatch three young ladies … to be used in whatever self-gratifying, self-serving way he saw fit,” assistant prosecutor Brian Murphy said Thursday morning during Castro’s arraignment.
– The case will be transferred to a Cuyahoga County court. The prosecutor’s office for that county will handle the case, with a grand jury deciding on an indictment that could include additional counts, according to Victor Perez, chief assistant prosecutor for the city of Cleveland.
– Knight still was at Cleveland’s Metro Health Medical Center on Thursday morning, hospital spokeswoman Tina Shaerban-Arundel said. The spokeswoman has not said what Knight is being treated for, but did say that she “is in good condition.” On Tuesday, the hospital said that it had released all three rescued women. Shaerban-Arundel said that the hospital stood by its Tuesday statement, but she did not elaborate.
Previously reported developments:
– The three women and the child were rescued Monday after, according to a neighbor, screaming was heard coming from the home.
– Charles Ramsey and Angel Cordpero say they responded to the screaming by helping to kick in a door to help her escape.
– Berry and someone else called 911. “Help me, I am Amanda Berry,” she begged the operator. “I’ve been kidnapped, and I’ve been missing for 10 years. And I’m here, I’m free now.”
– Authorities are discussing who might receive a reward for information that led to the rescues, Cleveland police Deputy Chief Ed Tomba saud, He singled out Charles Ramsey, Castro’s neighbor who helped free Amanda Berry and later called police. “Mr. Ramsey deserves something,” Tomba said. “He is the true key to the case.”
– In addition to Berry, police found DeJesus and Knight at the home; all three said they were held captive there, according to authorities.
– Police later arrested Ariel Castro, who’s identified as a former school bus driver, and his two brothers. All three Castro brothers were together when they were arrested, at which time authorities felt “we had enough probable cause to bring them into custody,” said Tomba. But over the course of the investigation, officials “found no facts to link” Onil and Pedro Castro to the kidnapping case.
– Onil and Pedro Castro are set to appear Tkhursday morning in Cleveland Municipal Court related to outstanding warrants for misdemeanor cases, Victor Perez, chief assistant prosecutor for the city of Cleveland, said late Wednesday afternoon. Tomba said that the judge will then determine whether the two men get credit for time served and are released.
– In charging documents for Ariel Castro released Wednesday, police said that Castro lured Knight into his vehicle on Lorain Avenue on August 22, 2002, took her to his home, and over the subsequent years “repeatedly sexually assaulted” her. Police laid out the same scenario for Berry, who was allegedly lured into Castro’s vehicle on the same road on April 21, 2003. DeJesus was allegedly lured into Castro’s vehicle on April 2, 2004, and, like the other two women, sexually assaulted repeatedly in the subsequent years.
– Angel Cordero, who helped rescue Berry and her daughter, said he told her they had to leave quickly before the suspect returned home. “I said, ‘Let’s get out of here, because if that guy arrives he’s going to kill us. If he finds me here, he is going to kill me. He’ll kill you.” Cordero also told CNN en Español that Berry’s daughter did not appear accustomed to being around many people. She was wearing only a diaper and a sullied shirt, the rescuer said.
– Knight, of Cleveland, was reported missing by a family member on on August 23, 2002, said Martin Flask, Cleveland’s public safety director. She was 21 at the time, according Cleveland police.
– Berry was last seen after finishing her shift at a Burger King in Cleveland in 2003. It was the eve of her 17th birthday.
– DeJesus, of Cleveland, disappeared nearly a year later, in April 2004. She was 14.
– The three women hadn’t left Ariel Castro’s property and had only gone outside “on two separate occasions … briefly” in the years in which they were held captive, Flask said.
– Ariel Castro would often test his captives by pretending to leave, then returning suddenly to discipline them if they made any move to escape, a law enforcement source with direct knowledge of the investigation told CNN. Amanda Berry “just knew” that (suspect Ariel) Castro was gone at the time and “had hit her breaking point,” according to the source.
– The women “relied on each other for survival,” a law enforcement source with firsthand knowledge of the investigation said. The three interacted during their captivity, though they were typically kept in separate rooms, according to the source.
– A paternity test will be conducted to determine whether Ariel Castro is the biological father of the 6-year-old daughter of Berry who was freed Monday, said Tomba. The girl was born while her mother was held captive.
– When Berry escaped, the two other women could have run but chose not to, the law enforcement source with firsthand knowledge of the investigation said. The two other women who did not flee had “succumbed” to “their reality,” the source said, describing them as brainwashed and fearful.
– None of the three women was bound on the day they were freed, according to the source. Earlier, Cleveland’s police chief told NBC’s “Today” show that “we have confirmation that they were bound, and there (were) chains and ropes in the home.”
– Knight’s missing persons report from the Cleveland Police Department describes her as having “mental abnormalities”; many family members seemed to be unaware that she was missing.
– Knight’s mother told NBC on Wednesday that she cried when she heard her daughter was found. Barbara Knight told NBC that she had been looking for her daughter during the years she was gone. “She’s probably angry at the world because she thought she would never be found, but thank God that somebody did.” She was asked what she would say to Michelle if and when she got to see her. “I love you and I missed you all this time,” she said.
– Gina DeJesus was greeted by cheers when she returned Wednesday afternoon to a family home in Cleveland.
– Her aunt, Sandra Ruiz, expressed thanks Wednesday afternoon for those who supported the family over the years. “There are not enough words to say or express the joy that we feel … for the return of … Gina,” Ruiz said.
– The aunt also asked the community not to forget Ashley Summers, who was last seen in July 2007. “Now we need to… rally together to look next door and bring …. Ashley Summers, home,” Ruiz said, adding that her family feels connected in spirit to missing people like Summers.
– But the investigation thus far hasn’t led to any new information on Ashley Summers, who was 14 when she went missing in 2007, said Tomba. He said “her disappearance was part of the questioning” of the three Castro brothers who were initially arrested.
– Late Wednesday morning, authorities escorted Berry, her daughter and her sister, Beth Serrano, to Serrano’s Cleveland house. Serrano came outside and talked to reporters briefly, saying: “Our family would request privacy so my sister, niece and I can have time to recover. … Please respect our privacy until we are ready to make our statements.” Police initially said Berry would address the media, but it was later announced that she would not speak publicly Wednesday.
– A fund has been set up — the Cleveland Courage Fund — to raise money for the long-missing women and others affected, the city of Cleveland announced Wednesday on Twitter. Money will go toward supporting those who have been held captive and organizations that assist them.
– By 5 p.m. Wednesday, law enforcement authorities had “completed their search” of Ariel Castro’s home, said Flask, Cleveland’s public safety director. More than 200 items were taken from the house, which Tomba said “was in quite a bit of disarray” when officers entered.
– Law enforcement authorities Wednesday afternoon searched a boarded-up house and detached garage two doors down from the Cleveland home of Ariel Castro. FBI agents in protective suits were on site, accompanied by dogs. Some of the agents carried shovels.
– New information “provided us enough probable cause to seek another search warrant” for a second Seymour Avenue home — two doors down from Ariel Castro’s house — that authorities searched Wednesday, said Tomba. He did not specify what information led authorities to search the boarded-up house.
– Nina Samoylicz, who lives near Ariel Castro’s home, said she called police about three years ago after spotting a naked woman in the backyard of Castro’s house. Samoylicz said when she called out to the woman, a man told the woman to get in the house, then ran in himself. “(Police) thought we was playing, joking, they didn’t believe us,” Samoylicz said.
– Faliceonna Lopez, Samoylicz’s sister, told a slightly different version of events Tuesday on CNN’s “Piers Morgan Live.” She said that after seeing the naked woman, they told their mother, not police. The mother, Annita Lugo, told Morgan that she didn’t call police, either, saying, “I definitely would have called them, but it was hours later and I really — I really didn’t — you know, I was just stuck. I was dumbfounded, didn’t know how to take it, you know?”
– Sgt. Sammy Morris, a Cleveland police spokesman, told CNN that the department had no record of a 911 call reporting a naked woman at Castro’s address. And on Wednesday, a city spokeswoman said flatly that there was no truth to claims that any reports were made.
– Another neighbor, Israel Lugo, said he heard yelling in the house in November 2011 and called police to investigate, but they left after no one answered the door. Police took to Twitter on Wednesday to deny that they received a call about “women held or women banging on windows.”
– Officials have no indication that anybody living near the Cleveland home ever called authorities about anything suspicious there, Flask said Tuesday. He said that assessment is based on an initial review of city databases; officials will continue to examine the databases, he said.
– Since the first woman’s disappearance, police were called to the home once — in January 2004 — Flask said. Investigators were there at the request of Children and Family Services to investigate a complaint that Castro left a child on a school bus while he was working as a school bus driver, Flask said. Investigators knocked on the home’s door but were “unsuccessful in making contact.” The matter was later dropped when investigators determined that Castro had no criminal intent in the bus incident, he added.
– Amanda Berry’s grandmother, Fern Gentry of Tennessee, told CNN on Thursday that hearing that Berry was alive 10 years after her disappearance was the “most important thing that ever happened in my life.” Gentry, who spoke to Berry by phone from her Tennessee home Tuesday, said she was thankful for people who helped in her rescue. “If she hadn’t got out, I don’t think she would have lived very much longer. … It’s just a miracle she appeared back with us. … I can’t wait to see her and the baby.”
™ & © 2013 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.