Property Tax and Tag bill changes
Starting in September, tax payers will pay their vehicle property tax and vehicle registration in one combined bill thanks to House Bill 1779.
The Tag & Tax Together Program will allow vehicle owners to make payments to the Division of Motor Vehicles for a single combined payment instead of a separate bill from the county office.
Guilford County Tax Director Ben Chavis said the consolidation will help alleviate delinquent collecting from the county office and give tax payers more options and flexibility.
“This is going to improve that process tremendously. We’re going from the upper 80′s in the collection percentage to soon close to 100 percent,” Chavis said. “Most other states that have property taxes on other vehicles have already gone this route. We are probably one of the last ones to do this. So, this is going to be a tremendous improvement over the current system we’ve had in place over the last 20 years.”
Chavis said that until the program begins on September 1, residents will see an insert in their bills explaining the upcoming changes and can plan accordingly. The state will issue a warning notice of the payment 60 days prior.
The registration applies to any car, boat or trailer that a person may own and can be paid in person, online or by mail to the DMV.
- This is why you don't take a selfie next to a moving train
- Remains of teens missing since 1971 found in submerged car
- Wu-Tang Clan affiliated rapper severs penis, jumps off building
- Woman shot dead while on phone with 911 for 13 minutes
- 24 people apply for 'World's Toughest Job,' get an emotional surprise at end of interview