7-year-old brings gun to school in Taylorsville, parents arrested
TAYLORSVILLE, N.C. –The Alexander County Sheriff’s Office is investigating an incident at Sugar Loaf Elementary School involving a 7-year-old who brought a gun to school Thursday, WCNC reports.
The Sheriff’s Office was notified of the incident by staff at Sugar Loaf Elementary School around lunchtime. Staff immediately seized the weapon from the student, according to the report.
The first grade student has been removed from school grounds and taken into custody, the Sheriff’s Office says, and the student’s identity will not be released.
It is unclear if the gun was loaded.
After the incident, the student’s parents were arrested. Timothy Mounts, 36, and Kimberly Setzer, 41, both of Taylosrville, are charged with one count each of failure to store firearm to protect a minor.
Read more at WCNC
- This is why you don't take a selfie next to a moving train
- 24 people apply for 'World's Toughest Job,' get an emotional surprise at end of interview
- 79-year-old 'Britain's Got Talent' dancer stuns Simon Cowell with her moves
- Watch WWE's touching tribute to The Ultimate Warrior
- 'Blood moon' timeline: Event will be a sight to behold, weather permitting