Triad runners react to Boston Marathon explosions

As two bombs struck near the finish line of the Boston Marathon on Monday, killing three and injuring at least 144 people, many in the Piedmont-Triad were concerned about their family and friends who made the trip to take part in the marathon.

A list of area participants found on BAA.org, shows 22 runners from Forsyth County and 20 runners from Guilford County ran in the race.

“I was at the finish line when all of a sudden I heard the first explosion,” said Angie Linzelle of Winston-Salem. “The explosion happened behind me and I knew it wasn’t good.”

“The first thought that came to mind, ‘Gosh that sounds like an explosion,” said Tim Pennell a graduate students at Boston University and Winston-Salem native.

Pennell was just two blocks away when the explosion happened. He and his mom, who traveled to watch the race, are ok. “It’s really sickening, I been kind of shaken by it.”

“It’s just a magical day for a lot of runners,” said Stacie Battjes with Fleet Feet in Winston-Salem. Battjes helps train many of the runners and has run the Boston Marathon before. “It’s just sad to think that anyone would tarnish that.”

70-year-old Clark Doggett from Summerfield was running his first Boston Marathon. He didn’t see or hear the explosions, but at mile 22 another runner told him there had been some kind of blast at the finish line.

As he crossed mile 25, the race was stopped and a an official picked him up and took him to safety..

Doggett says he had trained to finish in 4:10, but was running at a slower pace because of a minor injury.

“I wasn’t running as fast as I had planned to run so I was running behind schedule. If I had been exactly on pace I would’ve been there and my family would’ve been there when the explosion went off. We just feel that God was looking after us at that time,” he said.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 32,344 other followers