Winston-Salem Dash open with big crowd and good news
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C.– The Winston-Salem Dash opened its 4th season at BB&T Ballpark in downtown Winston-Salem Friday and along with the start of what organizers hope is a record-setting year, comes news of new development around the park.
The Samet Corporation is planning a 205 unit apartment complex across Peters Creek Parkway from the ballpark.
While original plans for the ballpark included retail and office space, developers say a changing economy and increased demand for downtown living make apartments the best phase of surrounding development to start with.
“I think that’s a great sign of what downtown has created when you start running out of housing and create a housing need. It means we moved people to downtown Winston-Salem.,” said Geoff Lassiter, Dash President.
Lassiter said plans for the adjoining office tower are not dead, just on hold until demand for new office space increases.
Lassiter said construction should begin mid-summer and take about a year.
The Winston-Salem Dash expect to welcome their one millionth fan into the stadium during the first half of this season.
- 40 people arrested across NC for human trafficking
- The real story behind the 'train selfie' and the man kicked in head by 'conductor'
- Why were huge military planes flying over the Piedmont today?
- Judge tells convicted killer 'I hope you die in prison'
- Lexington man killed in accident on I-85 in Davidson Co.