NCCU lockdown lifted after incident at residence hall
DURHAM, N.C. — North Carolina Central University has lifted a lockdown following an incident at a campus residence hall.
The lockdown lasted around an hour. The lockdown was lifted just before 3 p.m.
Earlier Friday, the school posted the following update on its website
“NCCU Police are keeping the campus on lockdown following a reported incident in a residence hall. Please stay indoors, away from windows and keep all doors locked.”
An e-mail alert sent to students indicated the incident happened around 1:08 p.m. at Eagleson Hall. According to the alert, a man with a .38 revolver was seen on campus.
WTVD is reporting the incident involved an armed man who allegedly held up a person near the student union building.
Campus police sent a message to students urging them to stay away from windows and to keep doors locked.
According to police, the suspect is described as a black male wearing a white t-shirt, faded blue shorts and has dreads.
“University Police warning. MAN WITH GUN ON CAMPUS. If safe, seek shelter away from gunfire. MAN WITH GUN ON CAMPUS . Seek shelter. Lock your door. Stay away from windows. BM WEARING WHITE T-SHIRT – FADED BLUE SHORTS – HAD 38 REVOLVER HAS DREADS”
- This is why you don't take a selfie next to a moving train
- 24 people apply for 'World's Toughest Job,' get an emotional surprise at end of interview
- 79-year-old 'Britain's Got Talent' dancer stuns Simon Cowell with her moves
- Watch WWE's touching tribute to The Ultimate Warrior
- 'Blood moon' timeline: Event will be a sight to behold, weather permitting