NCCU lockdown lifted after incident at residence hall
DURHAM, N.C. — North Carolina Central University has lifted a lockdown following an incident at a campus residence hall.
The lockdown lasted around an hour. The lockdown was lifted just before 3 p.m.
Earlier Friday, the school posted the following update on its website
“NCCU Police are keeping the campus on lockdown following a reported incident in a residence hall. Please stay indoors, away from windows and keep all doors locked.”
An e-mail alert sent to students indicated the incident happened around 1:08 p.m. at Eagleson Hall. According to the alert, a man with a .38 revolver was seen on campus.
WTVD is reporting the incident involved an armed man who allegedly held up a person near the student union building.
Campus police sent a message to students urging them to stay away from windows and to keep doors locked.
According to police, the suspect is described as a black male wearing a white t-shirt, faded blue shorts and has dreads.
“University Police warning. MAN WITH GUN ON CAMPUS. If safe, seek shelter away from gunfire. MAN WITH GUN ON CAMPUS . Seek shelter. Lock your door. Stay away from windows. BM WEARING WHITE T-SHIRT – FADED BLUE SHORTS – HAD 38 REVOLVER HAS DREADS”
- Woman killed in wreck on southbound Business 85 in High Point
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Baby born Tuesday is largest hospital has seen in over a decade
- Woman admits to stealing toy from child's grave, explains why she did it
- Tenn. girl wakes up for school, finds parents dead inside home