Bill would bar sex-selection abortions
RALEIGH, N.C.– It would be illegal for doctors to perform abortions because of the sex of the fetus under a bill filed Wednesday in the state House, the Charlotte Observer reports.
The legislation would allow doctors and other health care providers to be sued for damages and fined heavily if they perform abortions where gender is a significant factor in the woman’s decision.
Under the bill, a pregnant woman, her spouse, parents, siblings, guardian or her own healthcare provider could sue abortion providers, according to the report. Doctors would also be fined if they ignore court injunctions against such abortions.
It’s uncertain whether there are many women who seek abortions based on gender, but about a dozen other states either are considering or have passed similar bills.
- This is why you don't take a selfie next to a moving train
- Remains of teens missing since 1971 found in submerged car
- Wu-Tang Clan affiliated rapper severs penis, jumps off building
- Woman shot dead while on phone with 911 for 13 minutes
- 24 people apply for 'World's Toughest Job,' get an emotional surprise at end of interview