Sheriff’s office scales back search for inmates who escaped High Point jail

35-year-old Jose Alberto Hernandez-Hernandez and 36-year-old Jose Idel Sid

35-year-old Jose Alberto Hernandez-Hernandez and 36-year-old Jose Idel Sid

GREENSBORO, N.C. — The Guilford County Sheriff’s Office has scaled back its search for two inmates who escaped from the High Point Jail in March.

Officials told FOX8 a deputy is continuing the search for the escaped inmates, however the search has been scaled back.

Previously, a team of deputies were searching for the inmates.

The Greensboro News & Record reported the search had been “suspended,” however officials told FOX8 this is not correct.

Jose Alberto Hernandez-Hernandez, 35, and Jose Idel Sid, 36, are still on the run. Officials believe the two are no longer in the Piedmont Triad.

Hernandez-Hernandez was charged with first-degree sex offense with a child and six counts of indecent liberties with a child.

Sid, also known as Jose Joaquin-Del Cid Sosa, was being held on an immigration detainer.

The two shared a cell at the High Point Jail.  They broke out around 4:45 p.m. Saturday, March 16 by popping rivets out and removing a sheet of metal covering the cell.

The inmates then used bed sheets to scale down the wall to a ledge before jumping 35 feet to the ground below.  Guilford County Sheriff BJ Barnes says the men made it look like they were sleeping when they made their escape.

Sheriff Barnes previously said “human error” is to blame.  He said the incident marks the first of its kind in the area in about 18 years.

Barnes had also said jail employees would be disciplined for not properly checking the cell.  Maj. Sheppard told the News & Record the discipline is “pending” and would likely take place within a month.  He said the decision is up to Barnes.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 32,720 other followers