Renaming High Point Road and Lee St. in Greensboro
GREENSBORO, N.C.–Greensboro City Council is moving forward towards in renaming 17 miles of High Point Road and Lee Street.
Mayor Robbie Perkins said one name will unify two of the city’s largest roadways and help with any direction confusion.
“It seems like there’s a rebirth out in that High Point Road Lee Street corridor. A lot of activity going on. Some $6 or $700 million of economic development activity and it would be appropriate for the city to consider a new brand for the new area,” Perkins said.
“Gate City Boulevard” is the current street suggestion for the roadway.
The next step is for the city council to devise a plan with NCDOT with more details of the project’s funding.
In Tuesday’s city council work session meeting, members mentioned using any funds left over from the $8.5 million dollar bond for landscaping and street revitalization along High Point Road.
Sign replacement for the city would cost at least $30,000 and $100,000.
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child
- Update: Silver Alert canceled for Forsyth County woman
- Video captures suspect stealing items from baby's grave