Cold weather good for business in Yadkin County
YADKIN COUNTY, N.C. — The cold temperatures are actually welcomed by grape growers in the Yadkin Valley.
“I love it. This cold weather is treating us right,” said Frank Hobson with RagApple Lassie Vineyards in Boonville. The cold temperatures help keep the buds on the vines from blooming too early.
“They have not come out right now and this cold weather will actually hold them back.”
The cold weather of early spring will also help kill off insects that spread pierce disease.
“They’ll bite the leaf and they’ll jump around and spread the disease all over. It can wipe out an entire crop,” Hobson said.
In addition to perfect temperatures, growers are expected a great crop this season thanks to a wet winter.
- 24 people apply for 'World's Toughest Job,' get an emotional surprise at end of interview
- This is why you don't take a selfie next to a moving train
- Watch WWE's touching tribute to The Ultimate Warrior
- 79-year-old 'Britain's Got Talent' dancer stuns Simon Cowell with her moves
- 'Blood moon' timeline: Event will be a sight to behold, weather permitting