Photos: Demolition work begins on US 64 bridge in Lexington
LEXINGTON, N.C. — On Wednesday evening, crews began demolishing the U.S. Highway 64 bridge over Business I-85 in Lexington.
The demolition will take place throughout the week in an effort toward rebuilding a new, modern bridge, according to the N.C. DOT. The goal of constructing a new bridge is to improve safety and to allow traffic to flow through the area more efficiently.
The demolition work began at 10 p.m. Wednesday and is expected to end by 6 a.m. Sunday, weather permitting.
Business 85 will be closed in both directions at the interchange during the demolition process in an effort to ensure safety.
Drivers can take the following detours:
- Traveling on I-85 Business South: Take the U.S. 64 West exit and turn left onto U.S. 52 South. Follow U.S. 52 South to back I-85 Business South.
- Traveling on I-85 Business North: Take the National Boulevard exit. Turn left onto Burler Street, turn left onto West Center Street and turn right onto I-85 Business North.
The surrounding stretch of U.S. 64 will also be closed for the duration of the bridge construction, which is expected to be complete by the fall.
The project will cost $5.9 million.
The U.S. 64 bridge project is part of the larger U.S. 64 Corridor project.Submit Your Photo
- This is why you don't take a selfie next to a moving train
- 24 people apply for 'World's Toughest Job,' get an emotional surprise at end of interview
- Watch WWE's touching tribute to The Ultimate Warrior
- 79-year-old 'Britain's Got Talent' dancer stuns Simon Cowell with her moves
- 'Blood moon' timeline: Event will be a sight to behold, weather permitting