Elderly man killed in wreck near North Davidson High
LEXINGTON, N.C. — A 71-year-old man died in a Wednesday morning crash on Old U.S. Highway 52 in front of North Davidson High School.
According to Trooper T.J. Miles, 71-year-old Arthur Howard Brinkley, of Lexington, was driving a white Buick Rendezvous when he crossed the center line and collided head-on with a dark-gray Honda Pilot.
Brinkley was taken to Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center where he later died.
Inside the Pilot was a 36-year-old man and an 18-month-old girl. Miles says the 36-year-old suffered serious injuries, but they are not life-threatening. The 18-month-old girl is “fine,” he said.
The scene of the accident has been cleared, Miles said. The stretch of highway was closed for nearly two hours while the crash was investigated.
During that time, traffic was rerouted through the parking lot of the high school.
Miles said the 71-year-old was at fault for the crash. Officials are awaiting the medical examiner’s report to determine if a medical condition was an underlying cause.
No other details were immediately available.Submit Your Photo
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child
- Update: Silver Alert canceled for Forsyth County woman
- Video captures suspect stealing items from baby's grave