Safe stolen from barbecue restaurant in Lexington; 5 arrested
900 North Main St. (Google Maps)
LEXINGTON, N.C. — Five people have reportedly been charged after a safe was reported missing from a barbecue restaurant in Lexington.
The Lexington Dispatch reports Kenneth Michael Comer, 26, Shana Nicole Holt, 20, Brittany Michelle Stacy, 19, Jonathan Paul Lopp, 21, and John William Swing, 18, are accused of taking a safe from the BAR-B-Q Center at 900 North Main St.
Police tell The-Dispatch the safe contained about $100,000 in cash and collectable coins.
The suspects, who are all from Davidson County, were jailed in the Davidson County Detention Center. They each received $100,000 secured bonds.
Restaurant co-owner Michael Conrad tells The-Dispatch a cook arrived for work shortly after 4:15 a.m. Thursday to discover a window had been shattered. The employee alerted a Lexington police officer who was patrolling near the restaurant of the apparent break-in, after which they learned the safe had been taken from the restaurant’s business office. The door to the office had been kicked in, he said.
Conrad told the paper the safe weighs about 600 pounds. He added that some of the money and coins had been recovered as of Monday morning, but the safe itself had not.
According to The-Dispatch, Comer is charged with felony breaking-and-entering, two counts of felony safecracking, felony larceny after breaking-and-entering and felony possession of a stolen firearm.
Stacy, Holt and Swing are each charged with felony aid and abet breaking-and-entering, felony aid and abet larceny and safecracking.
Lopp is charged with felony accessory after-the-fact and felony safecracking.
Conrad told The-Dispatch that Swing had worked at the restaurant for the past two years as one of his curbside service employees.
Read more: The-Dispatch.com