Railroad safety enforcement in Alamance County
BURLINGTON, N.C.– Norfolk Southern Police and Alamance County law enforcement agencies are working together to reduce train accidents.
Six Amtrak passenger trains and several freight trains travel across Alamance County daily, and though most pass through without incident, the NCDOT has recorded 18 accidents since 2007.
To reduce the number of accidents, railroad and law enforcement officials are passing out safety materials to neighbors, businesses and school groups.
The flyers serve as reminders about the dangers of ignoring flashing lights and crossing gates.
Authorities also remind the public that walking along the railroad tracks is a misdemeanor.
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- Update: Silver Alert canceled for Forsyth County woman
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child
- 3 arrested, 1 sought in Davidson Co. kidnapping, assault