Amber Alert for Durham boy canceled, man charged with kidnapping
DURHAM, N.C. — An Amber Alert that was issued Monday morning for a 5-year-old Durham boy has been canceled and the mother’s boyfriend charged with kidnapping.
The alert for Christopher Anthony Roja was issued shortly before 7 a.m. Monday. It was canceled about two hours later after the boy was dropped off at his home unharmed.
Police tell WRAL 35-year-old Santos Reynaldo Aplicano Gomez, the suspect in the boy’s disappearance, is charged with assault on a female, assault by strangulation, kidnapping, battery of an unborn child, assault in the presence of a minor, communicating threats and interfering with emergency communications.
Before the alert was issued, police said Rojas had last been seen around midnight at the mother’s apartment in the 2300 block of Lednum Street.
Police told WRAL they responded to a domestic dispute at the address. The boy’s mother told police she had been wounded during a fight with Gomez before he left with Rojas and and his own 4-year-old son.
The mother was taken to an area hospital for treatment.
No details about how and where Gomez was found were provided. He was being held Monday afternoon at the Durham Police Headquarters, WRAL reports.