McCrory outlines budget talks with Obama
RALEIGH, N.C. – In an online statement released Monday by Gov. Pat McCrory, he outlined his meeting with President Obama at the White House.
“In North Carolina, we are making tough decisions and setting clear priorities to fix our economy and make government more efficient and effective,” McCrory said.
“We ask our leaders in Washington D.C. to do the same,” he continued. “During my trip, I spoke with the President and administration officials about three areas of major concern for North Carolina. First was sequestration. I urged the President and Congress to use responsible budgeting based on priorities, not across-the-board cuts.”
The White House reported earlier this week there will be an impact on every state, including North Carolina, if the sequester happens. There will be federal funding cuts to education, state military bases, law enforcement grants and various federally-funded programs unless Congress and President Obama can agree on a way to address the nation’s deficit by Friday.
McCrory said he also brought up other pressing issues in North Carolina, such as offshore energy exploration.
“After a decade of sitting on the sidelines, North Carolina stands ready to partner with other states to contribute to this nation’s energy independence and create thousands of jobs,” McCrory said.
“Lastly,” he said, “I met with the Secretary of Health and Human Services to discuss health care issues and the impact of federal health care legislation on North Carolina. As governor, I will continue to be an advocate for North Carolina in our nation’s capital on issues that will have an impact on the future of our state.”
During his trip to Washington D.C., Gov. McCrory also met with Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano, Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack and Domestic Policy Council Director Cecilia Muñoz, according to his website.