High Point woman now facing murder charge in baby’s death

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Brian Jack Frazier (left) and Stefany Renee Ash (right)

HIGH POINT, N.C. — The mother of an infant who died after the baby was allegedly punched by his father has now been charged with murder in addition to a previous charge of accessory after the fact to first-degree murder.

Stefany Renee Ash, 20, along with Brian Jack Frazier, 20, were arrested on Tuesday, Nov. 26, 2012 after police say they found the two-week-old child, named Khan, dead inside the couple’s home in the 1200 block of Kimery Drive.

“Through the investigation, it was determined that the child died as a result of a criminal homicide,” police said in a news release.

Ash was initially charged with accessory after the fact to first-degree murder, while Frazier was charged with first-degree murder.

On Wednesday, authorities added the murder charge against Ash and increased her secured bond by $1,000, bringing her total bond to $1,001,000.

Ash is expected to make a court appearance on Thursday morning.

Frazier is being held without bond.  His next court appearance is slated for the morning of March 1.

During the suspects’ first court appearance in November, the prosecutor told Judge Polly Sizemore that Frazier was allegedly up until 5 a.m. Tuesday playing video games when Khan “got fussy.”

According to detectives with the High Point Police Department, Frazier admitted to grabbing the child by the neck and punching him in the face.  The prosecutor said the child died as a result of the blow.  According to the prosecutor, Frazier then went to sleep.

Khan, pictured at the hospital the day he was born.

Khan, pictured at the hospital the day he was born.

Ash found the baby unresponsive around 2 p.m. Tuesday when she woke up.  The prosecutor told the judge Ash waited about an hour to call 911.

According to the prosecutor, Ash and Frazier spent an hour discussing their options, including the possibility of the hiding the body and reporting a kidnapping as well as the possibility of Frazier fleeing to the mountains.

Police said Frazier admitted to the crime when officers arrived on the scene. The infant likely had been dead for at least 10 hours, police estimated.