Victim in fatal Wilkes County house fire identified
WILKES COUNTY, N.C. — Wilkes County authorities have identified a man who was killed Wednesday evening in a house fire.
Assistant Wilkes County Fire Chief Nicky Hamby says Tommy Dowell, 78, died in the fire, which broke out just after 6 p.m. Wednesday at a home on Quarry Road.
According to Hamby, Dowell was using three or four different heaters to warm the home.
The fire appears to have started with one of several heaters that were located in the living and dining room area, Hamby said.
The house was destroyed in the blaze.
Further details were not available.
- This is why you don't take a selfie next to a moving train
- Remains of teens missing since 1971 found in submerged car
- Wu-Tang Clan affiliated rapper severs penis, jumps off building
- Woman shot dead while on phone with 911 for 13 minutes
- 24 people apply for 'World's Toughest Job,' get an emotional surprise at end of interview