Police search for man who shot state trooper in Durham
Police said a trooper with the State Highway Patrol was shot in East Durham on U.S. Highway 70 near Interstate 85 Monday evening. (WTVD Photo)
DURHAM, N.C. — Police said a trooper with the State Highway Patrol was shot Monday evening in East Durham on U.S. Highway 70 near Interstate 85.
WTVD reported that it happened in the westbound lanes of U.S. Highway 70 at Cheek Road around 6 p.m.
The trooper’s condition is unknown.
Authorities said he was taken to Duke University Hospital. It is believed he was shot in the face or ear.
Durham police said there is a manhunt for a shooting suspect.
A vehicle matching that description was found behind a restaurant on North Roxboro Street and Avondale Drive later Monday evening. So far, Highway Patrol spokesman Sgt. Jeff Gordon said it is unclear if that car was the one involved in the shooting.
The suspect is described as a white male with short blond hair.
- Jeremy Mayfield's $1.3M mansion to be burned down
- 13 arrested in drug busts in Yadkin County, surrounding counties
- Man tricked into thinking he's been in 10-year coma
- Texas teen gets probation for deadly DWI collision with 'affluenza' defense
- $50M awarded over birth defect after test said baby would be OK