Man taken to hospital after crash on Business 85
HIGH POINT, N.C. — Troopers say a man was taken to the hospital Monday morning after a wreck on Business I-85 in High Point.
The single-vehicle crash was reported around 7 a.m. on Business 85 South at the Prospect Street bridge.
Trooper Brandon Welch says a Ford Explorer driven by Billy Watkins, 51, of Winston-Salem, went off the right side of the road and hit a concrete support for the bridge before knocking over a DOT warning sign.
Watkins was taken to High Point Regional Hospital before he was transferred to Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center, Welch said.
Welch says Watkins suffered “some trauma,” but the extent of his injuries was not clear.
There is no indication of impairment, Welch said.
Troopers are not yet sure what caused the wreck, but Watkins will be cited for careless and reckless driving, Welch said.
Capt. Mike Kirk with the High Point Police Department said Watkins was unconscious when rescuers arrived.
The safety of the bridge was not compromised, Welch said.
No other information was immediately available.
- Watch WWE's touching tribute to The Ultimate Warrior
- 24 people apply for 'World's Toughest Job,' get an emotional surprise at end of interview
- 'Blood moon' timeline: Event will be a sight to behold, weather permitting
- 79-year-old 'Britain's Got Talent' dancer stuns Simon Cowell with her moves
- This is why you don't take a selfie next to a moving train