Roy’s Folks: Cigar Box Guitars
Bob Johnson is a cigar aficionado and avid woodworker, so it may have been inevitable that two of his passions would eventually merge.
It all started when a musician friend asked him to make a simple one-stringed instrument called a “canjo.”
After some research, he discovered a whole world of primitive instruments made from a variety of things, including cigar boxes.
In fact, he found information about cigar boxes being used to make instruments as far back as the Civil War.
Since he had a few old cigar boxes lying around he decided to build one.
Today he has taken the simple idea and added modern parts and electronics, to come up with an instrument with a very unique sound.
Bob sells his instruments at http://madurobob.com/
Along with guitars, he also uses cigar boxes to make portable battery-powered amplifiers.
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- Woman killed in wreck on southbound Business 85 in High Point
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child
- Woman admits to stealing toy from child's grave, explains why she did it