Poll: Most NC residents want Obama to honor former UNC coach
UNC coaching legend Dean Smith.
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. — Public Policy Polling’s annual poll on the UNC/Duke rivalry finds that 73 percent of North Carolinians believe President Barack Obama should honor former UNC coach Dean Smith with the Presidential Medal of Freedom.
According to the poll, Smith was the second most admired person in North Carolina in 2011, trailing only Billy Graham.
The study found that 72 percent of Duke fans believe Smith should receive the honor to just 28 percent opposed.
Although Smith was a well known liberal, 76 percent of both Democrats and Republicans believe he should receive it, according to the study.
More than 70 percent of men, women, whites, blacks, young voters, and senior citizens reportedly believe Smith should receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom.
On to Wednesday’s game, Duke might be in the Top Ten and UNC might be on the bubble, but the Tar Heels at least continue to have a big lead in the court of public opinion.
Forty seven percent of North Carolinians said they’ll be pulling for UNC, to just 26 percent for Duke.
- This is why you don't take a selfie next to a moving train
- Remains of teens missing since 1971 found in submerged car
- Wu-Tang Clan affiliated rapper severs penis, jumps off building
- Woman shot dead while on phone with 911 for 13 minutes
- 24 people apply for 'World's Toughest Job,' get an emotional surprise at end of interview