Poll: Most NC residents want Obama to honor former UNC coach
UNC coaching legend Dean Smith.
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. — Public Policy Polling’s annual poll on the UNC/Duke rivalry finds that 73 percent of North Carolinians believe President Barack Obama should honor former UNC coach Dean Smith with the Presidential Medal of Freedom.
According to the poll, Smith was the second most admired person in North Carolina in 2011, trailing only Billy Graham.
The study found that 72 percent of Duke fans believe Smith should receive the honor to just 28 percent opposed.
Although Smith was a well known liberal, 76 percent of both Democrats and Republicans believe he should receive it, according to the study.
More than 70 percent of men, women, whites, blacks, young voters, and senior citizens reportedly believe Smith should receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom.
On to Wednesday’s game, Duke might be in the Top Ten and UNC might be on the bubble, but the Tar Heels at least continue to have a big lead in the court of public opinion.
Forty seven percent of North Carolinians said they’ll be pulling for UNC, to just 26 percent for Duke.
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Man catches massive 805-pound shark, won't share his secret
- Randolph Co. middle school employee accused of sending obscene images to teenage girl
- NC girl kicked out of prom for wearing pants
- 'Ice Road Truckers' star accused of kidnapping prostitute, threatens to kill her over $1k