Police: Man tried kidnapping two kids at NC school
Damitri Johan Shaheed Vampe (Mugshot courtesy, WTVD)
SOUTHERN PINES, N.C. — A man was arrested Thursday morning after police say he tried to kidnap two children at a North Carolina school.
Police tell WTVD 20-year-old Damitri Johan Shaheed Vamper was arrested shortly after 9 a.m. after he walked into the Southern Pines Head Start building and attempted to kidnap two children.
According to an arrest warrant obtained by WTVD, Vamper displayed an ID card and “said he was there to collect two children.”
Workers didn’t recognize Vamper and found he had no relationship with the children he claimed he was there to pick up, WTVD reports.
“He said, ‘What, I can’t have these children? I’ll kill if I have to,’” Head Start Director Velida McCormick told WTVD.
McCormick says she was able to get Vamper out of the building before calling police and placing the building on lockdown. The suspect was arrested a short distance away from the school where he was found directing traffic, WTVD reports.
The suspect’s grandfather tells WTVD he is bipolar and schizophrenic.
Vamper is charged with two felony counts of attempted kidnapping and possession of marijuana.
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Man catches massive 805-pound shark, won't share his secret
- Randolph Co. middle school employee accused of sending obscene images to teenage girl
- NC girl kicked out of prom for wearing pants
- 'Ice Road Truckers' star accused of kidnapping prostitute, threatens to kill her over $1k