Accused witch burned alive
An accused witch was burned alive in front of hundreds of horrified witnesses in a Papua New Guinea town, according to the Associated Press.
According to the report, a mob stripped, tortured and bound a woman accused of witchcraft, then burned her alive.
Bystanders, including several children, watched and took photographs of the brutal slaying. Grisly pictures were then published on the front pages of the country’s two largest newspapers.
According to the report, witchcraft is often blamed for unexplained misfortunes in rural Papua New Guinea. Sorcery has traditionally been countered by sorcery, but responses to allegations of witchcraft have become increasingly violent in recent years.
Source: Associated Press
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child
- Woman killed in wreck on southbound Business 85 in High Point
- Video captures suspect stealing items from baby's grave