One woman dead after mobile home fire in Davidson County
THOMASVILLE, N.C. — Authorities say one woman died after a mobile home burned down in Davidson County.
Firefighters say the home of Mary Williams on Wintbrook Road in the Pilot community off Chapel Drive was destroyed when they arrived just minutes after the fire was reported.
More than two dozen firefighters responded to the call at 8:17 p.m. Wednesday. They arrived around 8:25 p.m. and spent more than an hour extinguishing the flames.
A woman was airlifted to Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center with “serious injuries,” dispatchers said. Fire Marshal Brad Needham says the victim suffered “severe burns” and is in critical condition.
The other victim, a man, was treated at Thomasville Medical Center for minor injuries.
“She was free-hearted. She would help you out and she would do what she could for you. She was a good sister. She will be missed and loved. She’s in heaven,” says Thomas Cecil, Mary’s younger brother.
“You can’t describe her. God put her here and God took her. I love my sister and I’ll meet her one day in heaven.”
The Davidson County Fire Marshal’s Office believe a faulty kerosene space heater caused the blaze.
Firefighters said the flames were most intense around the center of the home near the living room, but they quickly engulfed the entire home.